INPEA Activities of Interest:
Details about past events will be posted here.
- Human Rights Day 2008 Information Kit
- On the occasion of the Human Rights Day 2008 on 10 December, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has published an Information Kit. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Documents/60UDHR/IK_HRDay%202008_En_20081126.pdf
- This Information Kit and a number of public information documents, including more than 360 translations of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), photographs and background information, are available here. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/60UDHRIntroduction.aspx
- President Lia Daichman and NA, Representative Betty Malks, invite all members and guests to the Annual INPEA Membership meeting to be held at the GSA meeting, National Harbor, MD USA Room Cheaspeake "L" from 2 to 4 PM on Friday, Nov 21st. Click here for INPEA Meeting Flyer
- INPEA Board of Directors Meeting to follow. (click here for INPEA Board Notice) Also, INPEA Asian Rep and Board Member, Dr. Toshio Tatara will host his annual GSA Elder Abuse Interest Group on Sunday evening. at 6:30 in Chesapeake "9". Click here for Interest Group agenda
- Launch of the INPEA World View Environmental Scan on Oct 2 following the UN Intl Day of Older Persons Program in NYC, Please join us at a special reception at AARP in NYC. Click here to view Invitation. Click here for IDOP 2008 DPI Briefing Summary.
- 18th International Day of Older Persons, (IDOP) 2008 Program will be held on October 2, at UN Head Quarters in NYC. The program theme "A Call for a Convention on the Human Rights of Older Persons" draws on the knowledge and experience of INPEA's Internationally recognized President, Lia Daichman MD, INPEA Board Member for Africa, Prof. Nana Apt and INPEA National Representative for Nepal, Manohar Upreti, an Advocate for Human Rights of Older Persons. Susan B. Somers, JD, INPEA Secretary General, is Co-Chair of the 2008 IDOP. See http://www.ngocoa-ny.org/events/ for more information on the day.
- Join INPEA at "IFA's 9th Global Conference," Montreal, Canada (http://www.ageingdesignmontreal.ca/en/intro.php) for the INPEA Invited Symposium, "International Trends in the Prevention of Elder Abuse / Tendances internationales dans la prévention de l'abus des personnes âgées" W15 on Sept 6th 2008 (Saturday) Time: 13:30 - 14:30 Room 520b. Click here for Symposium description.
- INPEA Membership Meeting held at World Demographic Assoc. Conference, St. Gallen, Switzerland, August 29, 2008. Prof. Arilea Lowenstein, INPEA EU Regional Rep., chaired and opened the meeting with a Memorial Dedication to Dr. Charles Henri Rapin, INPEA Swiss National Rep. Thereafter, members of INPEA joined with AFRAN members and guests, to honor Prof. Monica Ferreira. Click Meeting Report: Microsoft Word Format / PDF Format.
- Prof. Monica Ferreira, to become retire as INPEA Regional Rep for Africa. INPEA Executive, Lia Daichman, Elizabeth Podnieks, and Susan Somers, join all of Africa and INPEA's World Wide family to thank Monica for her outstanding service to INPEA and wish her the best in her future.
- Día Internacional sobre la Toma de Conciencia del Abuso y Maltrato en la Vejez 15 de JULIO del 2008 "Mi Mundo... Tu Mundo... Nuestro Mundo... Libre de Violencia" World Day of Awareness of Elder Abuse. Click here for WEAAD in Latin America/Argentina.
- A Great Loss: Charles Henri Rapin, Swiss representative for INPEA described as a true visionary by Dr. Lia Diachman and beloved by many. A service is planned for July 15th. Clic ici pour le Français.doc. Click here for English .doc.
- 2008 Global Celebration of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, (WEAAD) held in Ottawa, Canada.
- 2008 Rosalie S. Wolf Memorial Award in Elder Abuse presented to Ariela Lowenstein, PhD. Click here for more information
- INPEA NYC Members join Gray Panthers NYC to address Climate Change and Ageing: "Using Gray Matter to stay Green" to be held May 13th. See flyer for details.
- INPEA and IAGG UN NGO Student Representatives thanked for service at farewell gathering in NYC, May 1, 2008. Temple Byars, Fordham University, INPEA Rep. from LA, California, and Amber Dixon, Columbia University, IAGG Rep, from Nashville, Tennessee, are due to graduate this month and return to home states as INPEA State Ambassadors. (Click to see Photo)
- Geneva: UN Human Rights Council 7th Session: INPEA submit Oral Statement aided by our new UN Team member, Ursula Barter. INPEA was thanked by a Pakistan representative for raising our voice for the human rights of older persons.
- Brussels: EC Elder Abuse Conference: Lead by INPEA European Representative Ariela Lowenstein, Scientific studies on Elder Abuse were presented by INPEA Austrian Rep. Joseph H. Simon Biggs, International Advisor to INPEA President, Thomas German, INPEA Germany, and invited to join a round table was INPEA Secretary General, Susan Somers. This daylong conference, which launched the EC's newest efforts in the fight against elder abuse, drew an impressive number of elder abuse experts from Europe. Numerous INPEA members were counted among the experts, such as Giovanni Lamura, Italy; Jan Lorman, Czech Republic; Joseph Troisi, Malta; Thomas Góergen (Germany); Françoise Busby, INPEA France; Bridget Penhale (UK) and Gabriele Walentich (Germany), INPEA EU Board Members; José Alves, INPEA Portugal; and our newest National Reps in Europe, Gerd Callenwaert, Belgium; and Kristin Skjørten, Norway. You may find a record of the proceedings and a link to the video release at http://www.tvlink.rg/vnr.cfm?vidID=282&lg=en
- Brussels: INPEA EU meeting called by Ariela Lowenstein. Members welcome the recent appointment of National Rep to Belgium (Flanders) Gerd Callenwaert, and Kristin Skjørten, Norway.
- "Student Connection" INPEA's student section is regrouping in Ottawa, Canada for WEAAD 2008 (English) (French). Poster and Paper sessions are in the planning stages, with an eye towards presenting cash awards. See our new "Student Connection" Page for further details.
- UN Commission on Social Development: INPEA and IAGG present Oral Statement to Commission.
- V IAGG Latin American and Caribbean Congress/ VIII Congreso Colombiano de Gerontologia y Geriatria - April 16- 19, 2008, in the UNESCO Site, Cartagena, Colombia, INPEA Invited Symposium: Abuso y Maltrato en la Vejez: Programas que en las Practica funcionan. Elder Abuse: Programs and Practices that Work -- April 18th Lia Daichman, INPEA President Chair, Laura Machado, IAGG Brazil, Dr. Sara Agular, Mexico, Marie Beaulieu, PhD, Canada, Susana Aguas, Ar. and Susan Somers, JD USA., presenters.
- A Great Loss: INPEA Remembers Dr. Francisco Gullien "A Great Geriatrician" INPEA's global family wishes to extend our sincere regret upon learning of the loss of Dr. Gullien, former President of the Spanish Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics, and former Secretary of the IAGG-ER, described by friends in Spain as an "active Geriatrician." Dr. Lia Daichman recounts that "Paco was one of the first to support INPEA...he will be missed around the globe." "He was an excellent colleague," recalls Gloria Gutman, IAGG Past President. Colleague, Astrid Stuckelberger noted. "...he was ... cherished by all.. who met him...." INPEA believes his memory will remain so cherished, and offers our sympathy to his friends and family.
Click here for Archives of Past Activities